- Reduce the milk; add the cooked rice and simmer it until it becomes thick and creamy, stirring it frequently.
- Then add the Almonds paste, cantaloupe purée, sugar until the raw smell of the almonds goes off and it is as thick as pudding. Garnish it with ghee roasted chopped cashews or pecans and serve it chilled.
A thick creamy cantaloupe pudding. Very similar to Indian Kheer. A different way to enjoy the cantaloupe.
- ¼ cup rice
- 1 tablespoon almonds blanched
- 3 cup milk
- ¼ cup thick puréed cantaloupe
- ~¼ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashew nuts, pistachios & pecans
- Cook rice with twice the amount water until its well cooked and mushy. Meanwhile blanch the almonds and grind it in a mixer into a smooth paste.
Heat a pan and add the puréed almonds. Sauté it in a medium flame until the raw taste goes off.
- Bring milk to a boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Simmer it and keep stirring constantly. Once the milk reduces and thickens, add the cooked rice and the puréed cantaloupe, almonds and sugar.
Keep stirring until it reaches a pudding consistency; thick and creamy. Roast the cashews in a tablespoon of ghee and add it.
Let it cool. Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour or so and serve it chilled.
You can also cook rice with half the amount water and half milk. This gives it a nice creamy taste. The cinnamon powder can also be substituted with cardamom powder. This will yield a slightly different taste. According to the cantaloupe's sweetness, reduce or increase the amount of sugar mentioned. Keep in mind that adding too much of cantaloupe can overpower the taste of pudding. Minimum quantity will be enough to get its flavour and essence. Always you can add a bit extra if you want. (**) Since the amount of almond is little, you can skip this step and add the almond paste directly in the milk along with cantaloupe purée. I did it separately, just in case if it needed more time to cook.
Suchi Sm says
New recipe for musk melon..... happy to c ur post,.....
Chef Mireille says
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one...This is on my MUST TRY list for the summer...
Pavani N says
Very interesting and innovative kheer. Great tip to add fruit into a dish. Love the whole presentation - looks beautiful and very attractive.
Rajani S says
Love how you have used the melon as the serving pot! Looks so beautiful!
Archana Potdar says
Wow what a beautiful presentation. As for the recipe its amazingly innovative as well as tasty.
Very well presented and looks inviting !
Preeti Garg says
Wow.. again one more combo with rice and melon.. Amazing and yummy kheer
Wow that melon bowl looks awesome!..wonderful idea..
Pallavi Purani says
This is such a lovely presentation style. Love it.
Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi says
Beautiful presentation. The kheer looks super cool!
The Pumpkin Farm says
looks delicious, u have the patience to present it beautifully, very nice
What a lovely combo and cleverly clicked pictures.. loved the idea of clicking the Melon filled up with Kheer..
glad to follow you Nisha 🙂
Thanks Nupur. Hope you enjoy my recipes!
Priya Suresh says
Omg, wat a delightful and droolworthy pudding,wish i get a huge bowl of this irresistible pudding.