Instant Mangai Urgai | Instant Raw mango Pickle - Finely diced raw mangoes pickled in red chilli , roasted fenugreek powder & sesame oil dressing.
If there is one thing that I miss the most being away from home is "Mango". No matter how many varieties of mangoes I get here, nothing can beat the taste of Indian mangoes. Come what may, every summer, every Indian house is loaded with mangoes and we obsess over it. It is rightly called our national fruit. It marks the oncoming of Summer and the legend Kaliadas has praised its glory in his book "Ritusamharam", a book that describes the seasons of India and its importance.
Well, its not just the ripe ones that we rave about, we are so much in love with the unripe green ones as well. We make pachidi, different varieties of pickles, dahl, beverage and also enjoy it as it is.
This instant pickle is quite easy to make. Chop and mix with seasonings, let it rest for overnight and enjoy. That is all it takes. Only use the raw variety and the small unripe varieties are the best. It imparts the sourness that is the key flavour in this dish. To balance this sourness, we add the spices - chilli powder for the heat & the fenugreek powder for the bitterness. This provides an excellent flavour profile. The best way to have this is with curd | Yoghurt rice.
Finely diced mangoes marinated in red chilli powder, fenugreek powder and sesame oil.
- 1 Cup Mangai | Raw Mango
- 3 tablespoon Nalennai | Sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kadugu | Mustard Seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Manjal Podi | Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Perungayam | Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Milagai Thool | Red Chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Venthaya podi | Fenugreek powder
- Salt as needed
Peel and finely dice the raw mangoes. Set aside.
In a Kadai | Pan, add oil. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
Reduce the flame to low and start adding the other ingredients; Perungayam, Milagai thool and venthaya podi resp.
Pour this tempering over the diced mangoes. Add salt and mix well. Check for seasoning and adjust.
- Make sure the there is slightly more oil in the Urgai. This helps in extending the shelf life.
- Adjust the amount of red chilli powder as per your taste. Also, as the urgai rests, the seasoning seeps into the mango well and it absorbs the seasoning. This is very essential.