Mushroom Pepper fry -
Mushrooms, classified as a fungi and conflicted by many when it comes to the table, is well known for its high nutritional content. It is rich in minerals and vitamins that are supplemental for the body. Even though we consider it as a veggie, they are so distinct in nature and is classified as its own kingdom. These cute little buttons were once referred to as "Toadstools" - A Stool for the toads. The perfect cute umbrella shaped ones were often called by this name. But nowadays toadstool is used only for the inedible and the poisonous kinds and in some folklores. According to wiki, In German folklores and old fairy tales, toads are often depicted sitting on a toadstool mushrooms and catching, with their tongues, the flies that are said to be drawn to the Fliegenpilz, a German name for the toadstool, meaning "flies' mushroom".
For the last day, it is a quick stir fry using mushrooms. Since these are considered to be a "low calorie food", they are perfect for weight watchers. These are very filling and very tasty, you can just have it by itself. We like to have this with dal or a bhaji and rice. However you have it, this one is sure to please your tastebuds.
- 3 Cups Sliced Mushrooms any kind
- 2 tablespoon Butter or Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Few Curry leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Green chilli slit lengthwise
- 1 Medium size Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Pepper powder 1
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Greens of Scallions optional
- Heat butter in a kadai. Once it is hot, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add the green chillies, curry leaves, onion and fry them. Add the ginger garlic paste and once the raw smell goes off add the tomatoes.
- Let them cook and once they are softened, add all the spice mixes (except pepper) and fry them for a minute.
- Add the mushroom and salt as needed. Cover and cook until they become tender.
- Check for seasoning and adjust. Add pepper powder, mix it. Garnish it with coriander leaves and greens of Scallions.
Pepper is the main spice ingredient. If you want to cut down on heat, reduce the chillies.
Do not overcrowd the mushrooms in the pan. Since this is a sauté fry make sure not to over cook it. Let it be slightly crisp but soft to bite.