For the second day of Methi dishes, it is a simple and flavourful Methi Rice. Whenever I see fresh Methis in the market it will definitely find its way home!! Yeah we love Methis. So this is one of the often made recipes at home along with this Methi Paratha. A small plate of chips and raita (or a cool chaas ) is perfect to go with this rice. Since this is very simple to make, if the greens are already cleaned and trimmed, this is often made during weekdays for our lunch box. Whenever I make mixed rice variety, the cooking task and time is cut down in half. You never need an elaborate side for these varieties.
Methi Rice | Venthaya Keerai Sadam | Fenugreek Leaves Rice
A variety rice mix with methi | fenugreek leaves and a mild South Indian spice mix.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Indian, Tamil Nadu
For the Rice
- 1 Cup Rice | Arisi
- 4 Cups Loosely packed Fresh Methi | Fenugreek leaves
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Jeeragam | Jeera | Cumin seeds
- 4-5 no's Red Chillies
- Curry leaves torn
- ¼ Cup Peanuts roasted and coarsely crushed
- 1 Medium sized Onion finely chopped
- Gooseberry sized Tamarind soaked in ½ Cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Curry Powder recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon Red Chiili Powder add if the spice level is less
Roast all these ingredients in a teaspoon oil and grind it to a powder
- 2 tablespoon Channa Dal
- 3 no's Red chillies
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
Pressure cook the rice with 2 Cups water and let it cool. Let the rice grains be separate and fluffy.
- Roast the peanuts (if not). Crush it slightly and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Once it is hot, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Then add the curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add the chopped onions and fry until it is translucent and slightly pink. Add the tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft.
- Then add the methi leaves, some salt and the tamarind extract. Allow it to boil until the water evaporates and then keep sautéing it for about 5 minutes until the methi leaves wilt.
- Add the curry powder. Check for seasoning and add Red chilli powder if more spice is needed. Add salt accordingly. Since we are going to add rice, the spice and salt should be slightly more.
- Add the cooled rice, peanuts and mix well. Once again check for seasoning and adjust.
- Adjust the spice level between the three ingredients - Red Chilli powder, red chillies and the curry powder. Normally my curry powder will have less spice, so I would add more red chilli powder.
- Cooking methi in Tamarind water and sautéing in heat until it wilts helps in reducing the bitterness of Methi.
Suja Ram says
Methi rice looks great. Seems to be quick and flavourful with crunchy peanut bites. Sure to try soon!
Suma Gandlur says
This is different than the methi rice versions I cook at home. Sounds super delicious.
vaishali sabnani says
I must try your version it looks interesting.
Harini-Jaya R says
Very different from what I make. Sounds very flavorful
Pavani N says
That is one delicious methi rice. Looks yummy!!
Priya Suresh says
Quite an irresistible rice, well done Nisha.
What a different take on this rice Nisha..very nice and I am sure I will love this!
Nivedhanams Sowmya says
Give me that bowl and I will happily finish it... So flavorful