Ellu Sadam - Sesame seed rice - Roasted sesame seed ground with peanuts and chillies. This nutty spice mixture is then mixed with rice. Good option for lunch box or for a quick meal.
Ellu Sadam - Sesame seed rice - Roasted sesame seed ground with peanut and chilli. This spicy mixture is then mixed with rice. Good option for lunch box or for a quick meal.
Sesame seeds adds a delicate and nuttier taste to this rice. Its very warm and to complement this, peas and toasted coconut are added which is naturally sweet. You can also add little jaggery in this dish. Mostly we have this rice with Vadam / Karudam.
- 1 Cup Rice
- 2 tablespoon Verkadalai | Peanuts
- 4 tablespoon Ellu | white Sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon dessicated Coconut
- 2-3 no's Red Chillies
- A little bit Jaggery
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kadugu | Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dahl
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nuts optional
- ¼ Cup Peas optional, fresh or frozen
- A pinch hing
- Toasted Dessicated coconut for garnish
- Pressure cook the rice and keep aside. Spread it in a plate and drizzle some oil and let it cool.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on low medium heat.
- Heat little oil in a Kadai | Pan over medium high heat, fry the peanuts and red chillies, separately, until they are golden brown.
- Along with coconut and the roasted ingredients, grind it to a corase powder.
- In the same kadai, add sesame oil. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds and once it splutters, add the cashews and urad dahl.
- Once it turns golden brown, add the curry leaves and peas.
- Once it softens, mix the sesame powder, and the tempering with the rice. Mix well and check for salt.
You can serve this with Mor kuzhambu and Vadam.