Surul Poli - Sugar syrup coated crispy pooris with a sweet coconut and roasted gram filling.
Surul poli also known as Suruttai poli or surul poori is an authentic sweet delicacy from the Kaveri Delta region, Thanjavur in South India. It is a common street food.
Tips and Suggestions
- Make sure the dough is non sticky. The consistency of the dough is the same as that of poori preparation.
- Dip the pooris in the sugar syrup as soon as possible and fill and roll them while it is still warm. It will be difficult to roll as it cools down.
Pictorial representation of Surul Poli
- 1 cup maida (all purpose flour)
- ¼ cup water (approx)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup pottu kadalai ( roasted gram/channa dal)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashew and almonds, for topping
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, ghee, salt and knead it into a dough. The consistency of the dough will be that of poori, slightly harder than chappathi dough. Keep it aside covered.
- Grind sugar and pottu kadalai in a mixer into a fine powder.
Sauté the coconut until it releases aroma and turns slightly brown, for about 2-3 minutes.
Mix the coconut, cardamom powder along with the ground sugar mixture. Keep it aside.
- Heat water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and keep it on the flame until the syrup becomes thick and sticky enough to coat. Do not overheat until it forms string consistency.
Take the dough and divide it into small portions (approx 10-11). Roll out each portion like a poori, 1-½ to 2 inch in dia.
Deep fry it oil. Drain the oil in a tissue paper; while it it still warm, dip it in the sugar syrup and take a spoonful of filling and place it in the centre.
Fold it from one side taking care not to break.
- You can roll 3-4 at a time and deep fry it. Dip it in the sugar and then fill it. Repeat the same for the remaining dough.
- Pour the extra syrup, if any on top of the polis while serving.
Rhama Manohar says
Looks good! My Paatti and Amma used to make this. Thanks for the recipe. Will try it sometime.
Sure, Rahama. Do give a try! 🙂
Archana Potdar says
Love this its new to me.and its amazing.
Perfect one, need to grab one, love the filling.
Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi says
These looks so good!
Pavani N says
Amazing- those polis look too good.
Preeti Garg says
Wow.. lovely poli. So tempting and tasty
Rajani S says
Looks so yum! This is not a dish thats easily available here...
Suchi Sm says
surul poli sounds inviting...
The Pumpkin Farm says
NIsha , this is new recipe and looks absolutely mouthwatering
Chef Mireille says
these look so scrumptious - must make these next time I have a party
Priya Suresh says
Super tempting dessert,looks absolutely divine and inviting..
I love this so much!..the first time I made it, really enjoyed the taste..lovely pictures Nisha..