- Roast the rice flakes in ghee until they turn pale brown in colour. Then add milk and water to cook it through. Cover and cook; stirring it occasionally.
- Once it is cooked well, add the condensed milk, saffron soaked milk (if using), sugar if needed and some more milk to get desired consistency. Turn off the stove and it will thicken as it cools. (Refer notes)
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1.5 tablespoon roasted nuts cashews, pistachios, almonds etc...
- 4 tablespoon Aval / Rice flakes
- 2 cups Milk 1
- ¼ cup sugar 2
- A pinch of Saffron optional
- Soak 2 strands of saffron in warm milk. Heat a tablespoon ghee on a heavy bottomed pan and add the aval. Roast them until they turn pale pink in colour.
Then add ½ cup water and ½ cup milk and a pinch of saffron. Cook them for about 10-15 minutes on medium flame, until the flakes are well cooked. Keep checking in between and stir it so that it would not get burnt at the bottom. Keep adding milk in batches as and when the liquid evaporates.
Keep stirring them until they become creamy. Then finally add sugar and stir well. Once the sugar completely dissolves, turn off the flame. Add roasted cahews, pistachios or nuts of your choice.
It will thicken as it cools.Add some more milk if its very thick to get a slightly pourable consistency.
The amount of milk mentioned here will give you a thick consistency. We like it that way and hence I made it thick and creamy. But you can add more milk according to your preference. You can have it thick or in a pourable consistency. Do not make it very runny.
Addition of condensed milk is purely optional. The reason for adding this is it provides a perfect body to the payasam. It makes it even more rich and tastier. But instead of condensed milk, you can make this with milk alone. Cook the rice flakes completely in milk. You will need about 1-2 Cups extra milk.
The amount of sugar depends on how much milk and condensed milk you use. Since condensed milk is already sweetened very little amount of sugar will be needed or you can totally skip it. If you use just milk you may need about ¼-1/2 cup according to your sweet tooth.
Beautiful pics.. I can have this payasam anytime.. My fav!
Parvathy Chandrasekaran says
Rafeeda AR says
I've made aval payasam once n absolutely loved it.. urs luks yummy...
Thanks Rafeeda. They are an absolute delight.