Idli Upma - Left over idlis made into upma, seasoned with mustard seeds, curry leaves, chillies and nuts & dal.
Idli is the most common breakfast in South Indian homes. Its almost an everyday fare with different chutney and sambar varieties to pair it with. Idlis are supposed to be eaten warm and almost as soon as it is made. As it is cooled and with time, idlis become dry. Inevitably, when there are leftover idlis, we make them into something that makes it more edible and pleasant.
The best way to use excess idlis is to make them into an upma. Crumble the leftover idlis and season the with the usual indian tempering ingredients like mustard seeds, chillies, curry leaves etc...
Idli Upma, an upma made with leftover excess idlis to make a quick and easy breakfast fix. Idli upma is usually topped with nuts like peanuts or cashews to make it more crunchy and exotic.
- 12 Idli pieces, crumbled (1)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3-4 curry leaves, torn
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 tablespoon peanuts or cashews
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnish
- Crumble the idli pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadai | Pan over medium high heat.
Once the oil shimmers, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the curry leaves, green chillies and fry for 30 seconds. Then add the channa dal, then urad dal. Keep stirring.
Once they turn golden brown, add the chopped onions and saute until it turns translucent. No need to brown the onions.
Now, add the turmeric powder and the crumbled idli. Mix and check for salt and spice. If the green chilli spice is not enough, add little red chilli powder. Mix well and once well combined, turn off the flame.
Finally garnish it with coriander leaves and serve them warm. Coconut chutney can be served on the side (optional)
- This is prepared with left over idli. But if you want to prepare this, make the idli either a day ahead or at least well ahead that the idli is cooled completely. If you prepare with fresh instant idli, it might become sticky.
- If the idli is very sour, increase the green chilli or add some red chilli powder.