Fennel seeds are a big turn off for me. I would not be able to digest even an iota of fennel seeds in my dish. However my taste buds did a big leap quite recently when I tasted Rosh Bora. Its the aroma and the scent of those crushed fennel seeds that made me like the entire dish. Even though I started appreciating their taste from then onwards, am yet to get fond of them. So I was really worried when Kalyani announced this month's Magic Mingle's ingredients - Fennel seeds and Yoghurt. After wondering too much, I thought why not a salad and remembered this from a tv show. A salad would justly balance the taste of fennel. You can either up or down the quantity of fennel seeds according to your preference.
This chickpea salad in yoghurt, spiced up with fennel seeds and dressed in a yoghurt dressing is perfect for a summer lunch / Supper. Refreshing and chilled yoghurt, vivid and fragrant herbs along with slight sweetness from the fennels in between bites is very palatable and rejuvenating. This can be even had as a side for any variety rice. This can also be had as a raita by increasing the curd quantity. I used my home made curd that was not quite thick. Try using a thick yoghurt so that it coats and sticks to the chickpea. Either ways they will taste great!
Chickpea Salad with Yoghurt and Fennel Seeds
Chickpea salad flavoured with fresh herbs and spices with a yoghurt dressing.
- 1 Cup Chickpea soaked overnight
- 2 Stems Spring Onions finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Mint leaves
- ½ Cup Thick curd / Yoghurt
- ½ Tbsp Sesame Oil or any cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Crushed fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp Crushed red peppers
- Pressure cook the chickpea with some salt until it is tender. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and once they crackle, add the remaining items mentioned in "For Tempering".
- In a mixing bowl, add the cooked chickpeas, mint leaves, coriander leaves, spring onions and curd. Pour the tempering over it and mix well. Check and adjust for seasoning.
This entry is also linked to Priya's Healthy Salads event hosted by Archana this month.
Pavani N says
That salad looks amazing.. Click is too tempting.. Addition of fennel seeds sounds delicious.
Archana Potdar says
Looks yum. I love fennel but never tried it with curds. This looks yum. Must try it. Thanks for linking this yummy recipe to the event.
I am guest hosting Healthy Salads till the 31st May ‘2013. Do send me your entries
Priya Vj says
looks delicious...I am sure it tastes great ! on my TO DO List !
Suma Gandlur says
I sometimes add grated carrot or other veggies to this and end up eating this as a mini meal. Love the twist of fennel seeds.